Scorpions live a very cryptic life; they hunker down during the day, hiding deep in cracks and crevices in and around your home. Scorpions are generally nocturnal and most active during night time. Scorpions brood holes, under rocks, in the h-block piers, within block fences, in the cracks along the foundation where it abuts the wall, in cracks where the roof overhang meets the wall, around electric fixtures, and in dark, secluded areas. Because scorpions harbor deep in cracks, crevices, or holes, they are difficult to reach and, therefore, difficult to control. Scorpions are active year-round. They may not breed as much in the winter as in the summer, but they are always a persistent problem, every month of the year.
Female scorpions do carry their young on their back; if a brooding mother enters your home, she can bring 25-39 babies with her. The young scorpions just jump off when they are developed enough to fend for themselves, grow, and reproduce.
Arizona Scorpions that commonly infest structures-
- 2.3 to 2.6 inches long.
- Easily recognized by their enlarged pincer-like claws.
- Have a thin tail tipped with a stinger.
- Mainly nocturnal coming out to hunt at night.
- Give live birth, and the young look exactly like the adults, only smaller.
- Mother produces 25-39 young that climb on her back and remain there for 5 to 15 days.
- Can give birth 2 to 3 times a year.
- Life span can be 3 to 6 years.
- Maturity is attained in 3 to 4 years.
A female scorpion can give birth to 468 babies in her lifetime; in an entire lifetime, the female can be responsible for the birth of 3042 babies through repeated offspring!
Effective Scorpion Control
Depending on where you live and the environment, scorpions may be a pest you encounter from once in a while to many times a day. Some people are lucky and do not have a scorpion problem and may never, while the neighbor across the park is infested. If you live along a wash, by a golf course, on the side of a mountain, against the desert, or in an area that has harborage for scorpions, then you are sure to have some degree of problem. There are certain neighborhoods that just have an unlucky problem with scorpions. Scorpions can infest neighborhoods that never had historical issues; they can be brought in by neighbors who move in from a neighborhood having a scorpion issue, be brought in when landscape materials are delivered, or just move in. In Arizona, scorpions are a major issue. Scorpions will crawl up and down walls very easily. You may spot them hanging upside down on your ceiling or hanging on the side of your wall, scurrying around in an overhead light fixture, behind stored items when you move them, in between the sheets on your bed, in your shoes, or anywhere they can readily crawl into.
Scorpion control goes in levels
1. The first level of control is harborage elimination. If you have lots of items piled around your yard or in your home, pick them up or remove them. If you have dense overgrown shrubs or trees, then trim or cut them back. If you have anything on the ground and you cannot move it, then elevate it, so it is on piers or legs. This will minimize harborage and allow treatment underneath the area. If items are up stacked against walls outside or inside, move them away permanently. Use common sense when moving items in your yard, garage, or shed. Do not leave your shoes outside or by the doors. Control watering in your yard and minimize it.
2. The second level of scorpion control is to have a regular maintenance pest control service on your home and the outside environment. A regular maintenance pest control service will keep all bug activity under control. The less food source you have, the fewer scorpions you will have. Anteater Exterminating, Inc. will perform treatment around the perimeter of your home, treat the cracks and crevices along the fence line, treat landscaped areas, and treat around pipes, doors, windows, and other openings. The Anteater Exterminating, Inc. service technician has the knowledge to know what materials to use and uses them effectively. Regular maintenance is the foundation of a good scorpion control program.
3. The third level is to do a scorpion intensive once or twice a year. Anteater Exterminating, Inc. will perform a thorough scorpion control intensive and pay close attention to every detail. Special emphasis is given to identification of the scorpions, where the scorpions have harborage, and how the scorpions are gaining access to your home. During a scorpion intensive, we use a material that has a guaranteed effect on scorpions both quickly and long-lasting. The attic can also be dusted. Scorpions may not live or harbor in your attic, but they will crawl into it and travel through it to get inside your home. Scorpions will crawl through your attic all year round. A yearly dusting of the attic will ensure maximum control.
4. The highest level of scorpion control is mechanical exclusion. There is nothing you can do that will have a greater impact on scorpions or other insects than to seal your home and eliminate harborage so they cannot enter. No amount of pest control will make a bigger impact on controlling scorpions than mechanical exclusion. Mechanical exclusion involves a lot of material, techniques, and processes.
Scorpion Pest Control
If scorpions are what you are targeting, if scorpions are your concern, if you want to get rid of scorpions, Anteater Exterminating, Inc. suggests doing the scorpion intensive right away. After the intensive scorpion treatment, a regular maintenance pest control service should be set up and maintained.
Anteater Exterminating can perform a visual inspection when we are doing the scorpion intensive, and the pest control technician will provide you with a proposal that will contain all pertinent information about the amount of scorpion activity in and around your home as well as the suggested route to maintain positive control of scorpions, including mechanical exclusion.
Local Pest Control
The truth is that you will never be scorpion free because scorpions are indigenous to Arizona. You can, however, control and manage a scorpion problem. Anteater Exterminating, Inc. utilizes and practices, the most advanced and up-to-date methods in order to produce maximum results. EXPECT THE BEST!
Backlights cause scorpions to become fluorescent and stand out like a sore thumb. Backlighting should be performed on a night with no moon at all, and all lighting should be left off. After a few hours of darkness, the scorpions will crawl out of their hiding places and sit in the open. When black lighting is done, and a scorpion is spotted, it should be manually disposed of or sprayed directly. A black-light scorpion treatment is a good way to determine the actual level of scorpion problems within your environment and reduce numbers. Anteater Exterminating, Inc. backlight scorpion services can be done to augment and increase the effectiveness of other scorpion control services.